October 18, 2004

I Yak More Than That Dude in Team America

Happy Monday, everyone! Hope that everyone had a great weekend, but unfortunately, it's time to get back to work. Blah. Hey, the Magic finally won. Maybe I spoke too soon of them sucking (or maybe they're just good against other teams that don't play defense).

New Reality Show Concept: Extreme Paint Drying

For those of you who subscribe to DirecTV like myself, you know that last weekend was the Total Choice Premier preview weekend. For those of you not in the know, that pretty much means that we get pretty much any cable channel in creation.

So, I finally got to see Al Franken's show on the Sundance Channel. When I first heard about it, I heard that it was going to be a talk show similar to his radio show on the Air America network... Turns out it IS his radio show. How did this concept for a television show get popular. "Boss, I've got a great idea for our next hit. We find a popular radio personality, then videotape them doing their show, then replay it on TV!" I remember the first show that I saw in that format was The Fabulous Sports Babe on ESPN2 back in the day. First off, with her, they used the term "babe" very loosely. But it was just her, sitting in a studio by herself, taking phone calls. Didn't they have some darts or mud buggy races to show on the air? Now you have Imus in the Morning on MSNBC, Mike & Mike In the Morning on ESPNews, Mike & the Mad Dog on YES... You see where I'm going. Seeing these guys on TV doesn't add to the draw. Just shows how cheap networks are with their programming now.

Of course, there are exceptions. Notice I didn't mention Howard Stern's show on E! Also, a local radio show the Monsters of the Morning used to have a show that came on cable-access in Orlando. The differences in these shows is that it offers a little something extra than just watching people talk on the radio. Stern obviously shows the beautiful women who come on the show; the Monsters would show clips from their concerts and on-air bits that they had performed around Orlando.

Random Thoughts
  • After posting my "Girl I Would Stalk If I Weren't So Lazy" yesterday, I then watched two movies that also featured incredibly gorgeous Asian women. First was was the totally hot Qi Shu in The Transporter, then the even hotter Fann Wong from Shanhai Knights. I tell you, I prefer watching totally hot women to a bunch of guys in tights slapping each other around any day.

No comments: